100% Biga Pizza Dough
Adam Atkins (@peddlingpizzas) shows us how to make this simple 100% Biga pizza dough recipe - perfect for any pizza lover looking to produce crusts which are full of flavour and beautifully puffy (the Biga the better!).
This recipe requires you to make a pre-ferment called a Biga the day prior to making your pizza. It’s referred to as ‘100% Biga’ as 100% of the flour used in this recipe goes into the Biga pre-ferment on day 1.
The baker’s percentage is listed next to each ingredient in brackets. This is the percentage of the total flour. For example, when using 1kg of flour, 10g of yeast is 1%.
Prices from £399.00
For the Biga
1kg flour (100%)
450g water (45%)
10g yeast (1%)
For the Dough
210g cold water
(21%) inc water in Biga = 66% total hydration
25g salt (2.5%)
10g malt (1%)
Day 1 - Make the Biga
- Using a plastic container or large bowl mix all the ingredients by hand to a dry lumpy consistency (not a dough, but no dry flour left). Cover with cling film and make a small hole to let it breathe or cover with lid but leave a small gap. Leave at 16-18°C for 16/18 hours.
Day 2 - Make the dough
- Mix all the Biga, malt and 150g water of the water on a slow speed for 5 mins. Add salt and mix on fast for a further 4-5mins periodically adding the remaining 60g water in. The final dough temperature should read 23-24°C.
- Give the dough a few folds to strengthen and smooth. Rest for 20 mins then separate them up into 6x 280g dough balls. You may need to wet your hands slightly for this.
- The dough will be ready to bake in your Gozney Roccbox or Gozney Dome about 1-2 hours after balling at room temperature. Alternatively leave at room temperature for 1 hour then fridge until needed.
- Open up your dough, add your chosen pizza toppings and fire up in your Gozney pizza oven at 400-500°C.
Enjoyed giving this one a go. Beautifully puffy crusts!