A simple, same day, no knead sourdough loaf is made even better with the patented steam injector on the Gozney Dome that helps achieve the most incredible crust, with a touch of wood flavour.
1. For the dough;
- Mix the flour and salt in a bowl and dissolve the starter in the water in a separate bowl with your hand.
- Gradually add the flour and salt mix to the water continuously mixing together with your hand until a rough shaggy dough is formed and there are no dry bits on the side of the bowl. Remember, you’re not kneading the dough, just bringing together.
- Cover with a plastic bag and leave at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Gently turn the dough out onto an unfloured, clean surface and carefully pull into a rough rectangle.
- Pull the four sides into the middle and flip the dough over so you have a rough loaf shape and use the sides of your hands to apply pressure so the dough is tight on top.
- Pop the dough into a bowl, cover with a plastic bag and leave to bulk ferment for 5-6 hours.
- Gently turn the dough onto a clean, unfloured surface and carefully shape into a rough rectangle again. Repeat the process of pulling the four sides into the middle and flipping the dough over so you have a rough loaf shape and use the sides of your hands to apply pressure so the dough is tight on top. Leave to rest on the side whilst you prep your dough basket.
- Dust a baneton or bowl with a tea towel generously with rice flour before shaking out the excess.
- Carefully flip the dough into the basket (so the top becomes the bottom) and dust with rice flour again. Cover with the plastic bag and leave at room temperature for 2-3 hours.
2. For baking;
- Ensure the Dome is heated up to 750f (400c) with a good bed of embers and place the door onto the oven with the vents closed.
- Let the temp drop to around 610f (320c) and slide the loaf directly onto the oven floor on the opposite side to the fire.
- Place the door back on the oven (vents closed) and use the water hopper beaker to add ½ Cup (110ml) of water to the steam injector and cover with the cork lid.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes
375g Strong White Bread Flour
125g Active Sourdough Starter