Luis Perez makes some stunning looking Detroit style pizzas as Peels On Wheels and luckily for you, he’s shared his secrets! A slightly longer dough process is worth the effort for this incredibly light and crispy dough ...
Detroit Style Pepperoni, Burrata & Hot Honey Pizza
1. For the dough;
- Add the flour and yeast into a stand mixer bowl and mix on low for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add 80% of total water volume and continue to mix on low until it begins to combine. Once a mass is formed (after about 4-5 minutes of mixing) increase the mixer speed and begin to slowly incorporate 5% of the remaining water to collect any unmixed flour in the bowl.
- Add the salt and once incorporated add the oil. Once the oil is all mixed add the final 15% of water and stop the mixer when all the final water has been absorbed and the dough is smooth.
- Allow the dough to rest for five minutes before removing from the mixer and transferring to a large container to ferment for 24 hours in the fridge.
- When the time is up divide into 9oz (250g) portions, shape into balls, pop in a dough tray, cover and refrigerate for a further 12-24 hours.
2. For the pizzas;
- Using a cold dough ball, coat the pan and dough ball with the oil, then dimple and pan stretch the dough working it towards the corners of the pan. Repeat this method 4-5 times at 20 minute intervals (cover with plastic wrap or pan lid in between stretches). As soon as the dough has reached and filled all 4 corners of the pan cover and allow to proof at room temperature for 2-3 hours.
- Once the dough has completed its proof, with generously oiled finger tips, begin to dimple the dough and pre heat Roccbox to around 750°F/400°C. The front of the stone should register 545-570°F/285-300°C.
- Once Roccbox is preheated, cover the pan with foil or a pan lid and place into the oven to par bake for 3 minutes in total. Rotate pizza 180 degrees after 1 minute, again after 2 and remove the lid for the final minute, rotating halfway through again.
- Allow the dough to rest and cool before topping with the cheese blend, making sure to add extra generously to the perimeter of the pan and then add the pepperoni.
- Cover with foil or a pan lid and place in Roccbox for its final bake! The pizza will need to be baked for 4 minutes covered while rotating 90 degrees every minute for the 4 minutes.
- Once the 4 minutes have elapsed remove the lid and rotate 90 degrees every 30 seconds for a final 2 minutes of cooking.
- Allow the pizza to rest in the pan for at least 2 minutes before using a thin metal spatula to carefully remove from the pan.
- Cut into 4 or 6 slices then top with some heated tomato sauce, oregano, parmigiano reggiano, burrata and lastly drizzle hot honey over the pizza. Best enjoyed while piping hot!
For The Dough (makes 8-10 250g Dough Balls):
1500g Bread Flour
1020g Ice Cold Water (divide into 3 80%/5%/15%)
6g Dry Yeast
40g Sea Salt
25g Olive Oil
For One Pizza 8” x 10”:
1 250g Dough Ball
1 Tbsp Olive or Canola Oil
250g Aged Mozzarella and Mild White Cheddar (50/50 Blend)
50g Sliced Pepperoni
270g Simmered Crushed Tomatoes
115g Burrata Cheese