For the basil oil;
– Blanch the basil in a pan of well salted boiling water for no more than 10 seconds before draining immediately plunging it straight into a tub of ice water. Drain and dry the basil well with kitchen towel.
– Place the basil and garlic into a food processor and begin to blend, gradually until the oil as you do so. Check the seasoning and transfer to a squirty bottle or container. The basil oil with keep in the fridge for 2 days.
For the tomato sauce;
– Over a medium-low heat, melt the oil and butter in a saucepan with some salt before adding the sliced garlic, oregano and chilli flakes. Stir regularly for a couple of minutes making sure the garlic doesn’t colour at all.
– Add the red onion, basil sprigs and split chillies to the pan and continue to stir and cook for a further 2-3 minutes before adding the tomatoes.
– Bring to a simmer, check the seasoning and leave to blip away for around 2 hours, stirring now and again to make sure it isn’t catching on the bottom of the pan.
– Remove the chillies, onion and basil sprigs and discard. The sauce can be chilled and kept in the fridge for 3 days (it’s great with some pasta if you need a quick mid week dinner option!).
To bake the pizza;
– Ensure Roccbox is fully saturated with heat before opening a New York style dough ball into a pizza skin and topping with the mozzarella, four blobs of the tomato sauce and drizzle with a little basil oil.
– Turn the flame down to its lowest setting before launching the pizza into Roccbox and baking for around 4 minutes, rotating regularly as required.
– When the pizza is baked, transfer to a serving board or plate, drizzle over a little more basil oil and sprinkle over a pinch of chilli flakes before slicing and enjoying!