The Gozney Dome is perfect for baking BIG pizzas - just like you’d see people sharing after a big baseball win in an 80’s film!
16" Pepperoni Pizza
This New York style dough recipe is easy to work with and brilliant topped with anything (but especially with pepperoni and spicy tomato sauce).
1. For the dough;
- Put the water in the bowl of a mixer and dissolve the yeast with your fingers. Add the dough hook attachment and begin mixing on the lowest speed.
- Mix the flour and salt together in a separate bowl and gradually add to the mixer. Once all the flour is added continue to mix for 3-4 minutes. Turn the mixer off, add the olive oil to the bowl and leave the dough to rest for 10minutes.
- Give the dough a final mix of 1-2 minutes to incorporate the oil before transferring the dough to a workbench. Cover with a bowl and leave to rest for 1 hour.
- Brush the bench lightly with olive oil before dividing the dough into 13 ½oz (375g) pieces and placing them on the oiled surface. Shape each piece into a dough ball, transfer the dough balls to an airtight tray or container and leave in the fridge for 24 hours.
2. For the tomato sauce;
- Over a medium-low heat, melt the oil and butter in a saucepan with some salt before adding the sliced garlic, oregano and chilli flakes. Stir regularly for a couple of minutes making sure the garlic doesn’t colour at all.
- Add the red onion, basil sprigs and split chillies to the pan and continue to stir and cook for a further 2-3 minutes before adding the tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer, check the seasoning and leave to blip away for around 2 hours, stirring now and again to make sure it isn’t catching on the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the chillies, onion and basil sprigs and discard. The sauce can be chilled and kept in the fridge for 3 days.
3. For cooking the pizza;
- Allow your dough balls to sit at room temperature for around 1-2 hours before opening them into pizzas (it’s important to give the gluten time to relax but how long this takes will depend on how hot or cold the environment is).
- Fire up the Gozney Dome using the gas burner until you reach 735f (390c).
- Toss the dough ball into a 50/50 mix of flour and semolina before opening into a pizza base. Spoon on a good ladle of tomato sauce, sprinkle over the cheese and top with the pepperoni before sliding onto a peel and launching into Dome.
- Bake for around 4-5 minutes rotating regularly.
- Slice and serve!
For The Dough (will make 5 Dough Balls);
625g Strong White Bread Flour
325g 00 Pizza Flour
100g Wholemeal Flour
665g Warm Water
1g Fresh Yeast
28g Fine Sea Salt
25g Olive Oil
For The Spicy Tomato Sauce;
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
2 Cloves Garlic, finely sliced
1 Tsp Oregano
1 ½ Tsp Chilli Flakes
2 Red Chillies, split in half (use more if you want it even hotter!)
1 Red Onion, quartered
2-3 Sprigs Basil
400g Good quality canned tomatoes, lightly pulsed
For Each Pizza;
140g Grated Mozzarella
120g Sliced Pepperoni